Friday, July 17, 2009

Documentary vs. Biopic: Emmy Edition

"An old mother and her middle-aged daughter, the aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, live their eccentric lives in a filthy, decaying mansion in East Hampton."

The recent announcement of the Emmy nominations has given me a reason to post the first of several rants. I don't necessarily have a problem with biopics themselves, but I strongly believe that if you really want to learn about a subject, documentaries are simply more reliable.

Case in point, HBO's "Grey Gardens (2009)", which was nominated for a whopping 17 Emmys. I must admit, any accolades that Jessica Lange receives for her portrayal of Big Edie are more than well deserved, she was amazing. Since I am a fan of Drew Barrymore, I won't comment on her performance.



I had seen the groundbreaking documentary "Grey Gardens (1975)" on which the HBO movie was based a few times, so for me the fictional version provided a lot of background that I had been curious about. But I hope that anyone who has or plans to watch it will at some point watch the documentary, because it is one of the most intriguing stories you will ever watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment