Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One of the Most Intense and Disturbing Horror Films Ever

When I saw "Martyrs (2008)" at Blockbuster, I assumed that it was another "Saw"/"Hostel" type torture movie, but since it was foreign I figured I would check it out anyway. Boy was I wrong! It is really almost impossible to describe this movie. At first it appears to be an extremely violent revenge flick, mixed with a scary creature haunting. What is surprising is how quickly these aspects appear, it really has you wondering what could possibly happen in the rest of the movie. By around the middle of the film, it takes a completely unexpected turn. The last part of the movie is extremely difficult to watch, not only because of the disturbing visuals, but also because of the pacing. While it is uncomfortable, I think it manages to convey the intended tone.

"A young woman's quest for revenge against the people who kidnapped and tormented her as a child leads her and a friend, who is also a victim of child abuse, on a terrifying journey into a living hell of depravity."




I've seen lots of disturbing, gory movies over the years, but I really don't know if I could watch it again, although I feel I need to just to try to comprehend it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment